Chlorine isn’t a contaminant. It’s a disinfectant. But by-products of disinfection can lead to bad-tasting water and even illness.1
Chlorine is a type of disinfectant, not a contaminant, that’s added to drinking water to control microbes.
In addition to the off-putting taste and odor that can be caused by chlorine, chlorination by-products, such as total trihalomethanes (TTHMs), can form in the water.2 TTHMs can cause anemia in infants, young children, and fetuses of pregnant women.3
PUR removes chlorination by-products and chlorine (taste and odor) in drinking water.
PUR faucet filters reduce 98% of TTHMs, which can have harmful effects on the body. PUR water filters also remove the taste and odor of chlorine. PUR faucet mounts are certified to reduce up to 10x more drinking water contaminants from your water than the leading filtration brand's pitcher—leaving you with great-tasting drinking water.4
CHLORINE AND CHLORINATION BY-PRODUCTS IN WATER AND THEIR EFFECTS ON YOUR HEALTH:
Taste and Odor of Chlorine in Tap Water
Chlorine is a disinfectant, most commonly used to kill microbes in the water supply. If excess amounts are used, or if high concentrations of chlorine are in your pipes and plumbing, it can cause bad taste and odor in your drinking water.5
Total Trihalomethanes (TTHM)
Total Trihalomethanes are chlorination by-products that can emerge in chlorinated water. This type of water contaminant can cause anemia in infants, young children and fetuses, nervous system effects and
4 Based on comparison of a 3 Stage Faucet Mount Filter – model RF 9999 vs. leading competitor's model OB03 pitcher filter. As of 4/1/10; seeking certification is brand's choice.